I'm going to try to keep up with this thing this time. I know I've said that before, but this time I will be better...maybe. Haha.
So last Friday night Jaimisen had his first night away from home without a family member with him! He's been going to MyGym for about a year now; once a week and has already moved up a class because his first class got too easy for him [he moved up to the 2 1/2 year old class when he was only 2!]. Friday night they had a Parent's Night Out. Sign your child up for $30, 3 hours, pizza, juice, movies, games and playtime! I thought it would be an awesome opportunity to see if Jaimisen could handle being without me. I have been trying to get him to go to Sunday school for the past few weeks with no success [I've been sitting in his class with him]. I figured MyGym would be a better opportunity because he absolutely LOVES his teachers and is very familiar and comfortable with the environment. For the first thirty minutes after dropping him off, I kept my phone glued to my hand on the highest volume setting, constantly checking to make sure it was still working. Surprise, surprise! He lasted the entire time with absolutely no problem! He was so happy, excited and proud of himself when I picked him up. His teacher Aimee said he kept running up to her and saying, "I'm at MyGym and mommy went byebye and I'm sooooo exciiiiited!" I was so proud of him.
So today I thought I had a good chance of dropping him off at Sunday school and actually being able to leave. It seemed like my plan would fail when I left him crying with his teacher. All parents get a pager in case of emergencies, or if a child won't stop crying in my case. She said she would page me if he didn't stop crying in seven to ten minutes. Again, I kept checking the time and the pager to make sure it was working. Almost two hours later and convinced my pager was broken, I picked him up and his teacher said he did fine! She said he cried for about five minutes then decided he was going to be ok and wanted to play.
This is such a huge milestone for Jaimisen. He has been with me pretty much all day, every day of his life. The only babysitter he has ever had to spend the day with was my cousin who might as well live here too. Otherwise, his babysitting experiences consists of a few hours here or there with one of my parents. Being able to stay somewhere else with other people is so important and Jaimisen has now conquered it. I don't expect him to be completely fine with leaving me, but he has made a huge step and I couldn't be more proud.
No comments:
Post a Comment